The 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, is scheduled to be the 32nd edition of the Africa Cup of Nations organized by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) which comes up on the 21st June and follows through to the 19th July 2019.
This is as a decision of the CAF Executive Committee on 20th July 2017, to move the Africa Cup of Nations from January/February to June/July for the first time. It will also be the first Africa Cup of Nations with more teams increasing from 16 to 24 selections.
The tournament is to be hosted by Egypt now and this was decided on the 8th January 2018 by the CAF Executive Committee, as a result of some infrastructural delays and some insurgencies which had to be taken into consideration with Cameroon the initial country scheduled to host the competition. The tournament commences immediately after the Ramadan and is scheduled to take place from 21 June – 19 July.
The following teams qualified for the tournament:
at start of event
|Egypt||Hosts||16 October 2018||24th||2017||Winners (1957, 1959, 1986,1998,2006, 2008, 2010)|
|Madagascar||Group A top two||16 October 2018||1st||None||Debut|
|Tunisia||Group J top two||16 October 2018||19th||2017||Winners (2004)|
|Senegal||Group A top two||16 October 2018||15th||2017||Runners-up (2002)|
|Morocco||Group B top two||17 November 2018||17th||2017||Winners (1976)|
|Nigeria||Group E top two||17 November 2018||18th||2013||Winners (1980, 1994, 2013)|
|Uganda||Group L winners||17 November 2018||7th||2017||Runners-up (1978)|
|Mali||Group C top two||17 November 2018||11th||2017||Runners-up (1972)|
|Guinea||Group H winners||18 November 2018||12th||2015||Runners-up (1976)|
|Algeria||Group D winners||18 November 2018||18th||2017||Winners (1990)|
|Mauritania||Group I top two||18 November 2018||1st||None||Debut|
|Ivory-Coast||Group H runners-up||18 November 2018||23rd||2017||Winners (1992, 2015)|
|Kenya||Group F top two||30 November 2018||6th||2004||Group stage (1972, 1988, 1990, 1992, 2004)|
|Ghana||Group F top two||30 November 2018||22nd||2017||Winners (1963, 1965, 1978, 1982)|
Venues for the Tournament
There are at least six venues expected to be used due to the expansion of the teams from 16 to 24.
The six stadiums to be used include Cairo International Stadium and 30 June Stadium in Cairo, Alexandria Stadium in Alexandria, Suez Stadium in Suez, Ismaila Stadium in Ismaila and Al Masry Club Stadium in Port Said.
The Cairo International Stadium has a capacity of 74,100 seats, The 30 June Stadium has 30,000 capacity, Alexandria has 19,676 capacity, Suez Stadium has 27,000 capacity, Al Masry Club Stadium has 24,060 capacity and Ismaila Stadium has 18,525 capacity.
Fun places to visit in Egypt include popular cities like:
1. Cairo: The capital, the home of the great Pyramids and the Sphinx.
2. Luxor and Aswan: Two of Egypt’s famous cities, filled with historic monuments that are located in the south.
3. Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, and Marsa Alam: The Red Sea’s treasures, provide tourists with a variety of hotels that fit their needs.
4. Alexandria: it’s an old city built, located on the Mediterranean Sea famous for its beautiful beaches.
5. Ismailia: Ismailia considered being among the most charming cities in Egypt with its large number of gardens, its clean well-organized streets and neighborhoods, and a distinguished European style
6. Suez: it has a long rich history dating back to the reign of the 6th Pharaonic dynasty in the middle of the 25th Century B.C.
Egypt has more than 600 resorts, hotels, and Cruises approved by the ministry of tourism and all are ready to welcome international tourists yearly.
There are a lot of private tours one can engage in and some are listed below:
- Hot Air Balloon ride in Luxor, Egypt.
- Private Tour to Luxor West Bank, valley of the kings and Hatshepsut.
- Private Guided full day tour to Alexandria from Cairo.
- Private Half day trip to Giza Pyramids with Camel -Riding.
- Private Tour to Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis and Sakkara.
- Private Guided Tour to the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.
- 4 day 3 night Nile Cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
- Visit to the Egyptian Museum, the Citadel and Khan El Khalili Bazaar.
- Half Day Giza Pyramids Quad Bikes Tour from Cairo.
- Luxor Private Tour to the East and West Bank of the Nile.
- Private Tour to Abu Simbel Temples by vehicle from Aswan.
- 2 Days White Desert and Bahariya Tour.
- Private Guided Tour to Coptic Cairo and Coptic Museum.
- Nile Dinner Cruise in Cairo with Belly Dancing show.
- Hurghada Sindbad Submarine 3 hour Tour.
- Sunset Desert Safari Excursions by ATV Quad Marsa Alam.
- The Pharaoh’s Nile Dinner Cruise with a 5 star Dinner Theatre Culture.
- Private Tour to Luxor Museum and Mummification Museum.
- Private Full Day Fayoum Oasis and Waterfalls of Wadi El-Rayan Tour.
- Private Full Day Red Sea Monasteries Tour from Hurghada.
- Half Day Churches of Cairo Tour with Cave Church, Coptic Cairo and Hanging Church.
Some resorts in Egypt that may be of interests are:
- Sunrise Garden Beach Resort
- Serenity Makadi Beach
- Jaz Grand Marsa
- Charmillion Club Aqua Park
- Jaz Lamaya Resort
- Parrotel Aqua Park
- White Beach Resort
- Sunrise Arabian Beach Resort
- Sunrise Crystal Bay
- The Royal Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
- Baron Palace Sahl Hasheesh
- SENTIDO Oriental Dream Resort
- SENTIDO Palm Royale
- Iberotel Palace
- Steigenberger ALDAU Beach Hotel (Just to mention a few)